Now ‘brofot’ can be prepared to have a chocolate centre fill, giving the old snack a new taste.
Below is the recipe for chocolate filled ‘bofrot’ you can try at home.
Recipe (Pulse Ghana)
- 340g Plain Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 14g or 2 teaspoon of dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 300ml Luke Warm Water
- Oil for deep frying
- Place the flour and all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well and make a well a center.
- Now add the water and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover with cling film and place in a warm place for it to rise. It may take about an hour for this to happen. If not give it time for it to rise.
- Remove the cling film and stir the batter.
- Place the oil on the hob and let it heat up. To check if it is at the right temperature, add a tiny bit of the batter to the oil, if it rises to the top immediately and it start to brown, then the oil is ready.
- Use a table spoon to scoop the batter, gently fill it with chocolate paste and with the help of another table spoon drop the batter into the oil.
- Stir the oil continuously to evenly distribute the heat.
- As the bofrot cooks up on one side, it will turn itself as you stir the oil. Once the inside is thoroughly cooked, it easily turns itself. Lower the heat to help the inside of the bofrot to cook thoroughly without burning the bofrot. Continuously stir oil and turn bofrot to get a golden brown colour. Some prefer a darker shade of brown but be careful not to burn it.
- Using a slotted spoon, take out the bofrot and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil
- Serve warm with your favourite beverage.
© 2018, African Post Magazine. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital contents on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission to AFRICANPOST MAGAZINE